Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mom's Chocolate War Cake

I made this cake all the time growing up. I even used it for a demonstration for Mr. Denbow's class in Junior High! The recipe uses no milk or eggs so it was made during war time. The recipe instructs you to divide the dry ingredients into four wells to add each of the four wet ingredients to before mixing. I have ALWAYS done it this way since I have a hard time not following directions. My husband assures me that it would taste the same if you just mix it all together at once. He may be right--I dare you to give it a try. Who knows, maybe I'll one day throw caution to the wind and try it myself! Of course, I had to make Mom's peanut butter frosting to go with it. Mom said that the "crisco" ingredient was her mom's secret for having frosting with a nice and smooth consistency. This cake comes with a warning...be sure to have a glass of cold milk standing by!--Elnora




Cake:

3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. soda
2 scant tsp. salt

1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. cold water

Sift the dry ingredients into a 9" X 13" pan. Mix completely. Divide into four different wells. Add one wet ingredient to each of the wells and then mix thoroughly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Peanut Butter Frosting:

1/2 bag of powdered sugar (approximately 3 cups)
1 tsp. vanilla
large spoonful of peanut butter (to taste)
dash of salt
1 1/2 tsp. crisco
4-5 Tbsp. milk (until desired consistency)

Beat ingredients until smooth. This recipe can be adjusted with more or less of the ingredients to your taste.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the many times we made that cake. Seeing those individual holes took me right back to those days. I haven't made that cake in a long time. I wonder if dividing it is one of those traditions that is akin to cutting the end of the roast off generation after generation, when the first generation only did it to fit in her pan. I will have to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I don't think mine tasted quite as good tonight as I remember. I think I've lost my touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ellie, i don't think you've lost your touch. we probably remember it tasting so good because we never had store-bought ones. now that we're used to the moist mixes the home-made one doesn't quite live up to our expectations. but what a fun thing to do with the kids and such a fun memory. and im sure scott is right-it would taste just the same if we mixed all the ingredients together

    ReplyDelete