Saturday, January 30, 2010

White Whoopie Pies

I used to make whoopie pies all the time when we were growing up, but we somehow lost the recipe. I made some oatmeal sandwiches this weekend that reminded me of them. --Elena


1 1/2 c shortening
2 2/3 c packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 c flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 c old fashioned oats

Filling
3/4 c shortening
3 c powdered sugar
1 jar 7oz marshmallow creme
1 -3 TBS milk

1. In a mixing bowl cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats.
2. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets (make sure you really keep them small because they will spread out. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
3. For filling in a mixing bowl cream the first three ingredients. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottom half of cookies; top with remaining cookies.

2 comments:

  1. How did these end up tasting? I wish we could find our old recipe! I don't know how we ended up losing that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really good!! I rarely use Crisco anymore in my cooking, and I don't care for the waxing taste of it in the icing, but they were still good and were gone pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete